Has among the most famous and defining game series of all time Dark Souls pretty sure a top 3 place, no wonder they Remastered Version of the first part is eagerly awaited. If you can't wait until May 25th, we have compiled the changes to the original for you.
Dark Souls in a contemporary guise, but not a new game
First of all: if you expect a rework, you will be disappointed. There are almost no changes in the game. Dark Souls Remastered is "only" a version prepared for modern consoles with small cosmetic changes.
So it is not an implementation of the original game in the Dark Souls 3 Engine as some might have wished. Accordingly, there is still no unidirectional rolling.
But for the good news, that Frame rate / FPS is stable, there is no loss in the dreaded Blighttown and it can be played smoothly. Blighttown used to be a nightmare on PS3 when Dark Souls was first released, more like a slideshow than a game.
The lighting has been revised and graphic effects have been improved. For example, you can see clear differences in the death animations or in the fog gates in front of bosses. The User interface can now be scaled. Furthermore, all buttons in the menu can be freely assigned, this is even possible on consoles.
Nothing was changed in the combat system or the items, and Lost Izalith is still Lost Izalith and was not "completed".
Modern multiplayer functions
Many improvements can be found in the multiplayer features:
- Instead of 4, up to 6 players can now be online / in the world
- The "third finger" is necessary to play with 6 players
- Instead of being in the DLC area Painted World of Ariamis, the third finger can now be found at the dealer in Undead Castle at the beginning of the game.
- Similar to Dark Souls 3, you can play together with a password. The player level is adjusted.
- Friends should now be able to play together more easily
- Only the Estus bottle will serve as a healing item in PvP, so that the battles do not last too long, the number of uses for phantoms is halved
- If you defeat an invading phantom, your Estus bottle will be refilled
In conclusion, I can say that Dark Souls Remastered is a great thing for new players and will bring the brilliant world of Dark Souls closer to another generation of players. And thanks to the Nintendo Switch, you can even do this on the go.
For veterans the Artorius succumbed with blindfold, the remaster version offers little new. In any case, little that you cannot get for free with DSFix. The convenience functions for the online game are nice, but it remains to be seen what the price will look like and whether there will be a discount for owners of the original.
The YouTuber, who became famous for his background story videos VaatVidya has already put a comparison video online, which we added for you at the beginning of the article. The graphic changes in particular are clearly easier to see there.
Dark Souls Remastered It will be released on May 25, 2018 for PC. Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.