It is well known that those who are said to be dead live longer, so could H1Z1 Break the 10 million player mark today. And that in only about 4 weeks since the switch to F2Play and the release on the PlayStation 4.
H1Z1 has gone through quite the ups and downs from being released as a Survival zombie game, about the split into a battle royale and a survival game. Until recently, the number of players due to competition from Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite were finally in the basement. The developers only had the hope of marketing the Battle Royale mode as a FreeToPlay game. Amazingly, this worked and brings us to the 10 million players. Here is the info graphic from Daybreak Games about the achievements of the last 4 weeks.
Furthermore, a new update will be released today, which among other things brings a new map into the game. The Z1 map also known as Outbreak is now also available on the PC Live servers.
Changes have also been made to some game mechanics, here is an excerpt from the patch notes:
H1Z1 gameplay updates
- Spawn selection has been disabled in all Outbreak game modes.
- The AR-15 and AK-47 have been adjusted to allow two to three (depending on how fast you're firing) extra shots put on target before recoil growth kicks in. This does not affect tapping shot behavior.
- The AR-15 and AK-47 are now 60% more accurate when hip-firing.
- Crouch fatigue has been removed, so players are no longer restricted with the crouch action regardless of how often it is used.
- Jump animations have been shortened to provide a more responsive jump action, allowing players to jump more frequently without having to wait for animations to complete. Additionally, player momentum and velocity persist in the direction of the jump, allowing you to freely aim and look around without prematurely shortening your leap.
- Running and sprinting animations have been restored to Preseason 3 versions, with the rifle class of weapons having a prominent forward-facing position.
- Much-beloved bullet impact sounds have returned. Helmet break, headshot, and laminated / makeshift armor break sounds are all back from Preseason 3.
The complete announcement can be found on the Steam homepage of H1Z1.